Surrey: Thousands turned out in Surrey, Wednesday night for a rally against gun and gang violence.
The event was organized following the murders of two Surrey teenagers on June 4.
Police say the shootings were targeted, although the young victims were not known to them and their families say neither had any link to gangs.
Organizers of the rally, dubbed “Wake Up, Surrey,” called on those taking part and the entire community to do their part to end the violence.
Salma Naz, a rally organizer, says change will require public education and a new approach by police and the school system, while B.C.’s Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the provincial government is working with groups to identify new initiatives.
Sixteen-year-old Jason Jhutty and 17-year-old Jesse Bhangal were found shot to death in a rural area of Surrey last week and police have not yet made any arrests.
The Canadian Press