1.5 cups dried shredded coconut or fresh shredded coconut
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk or coconut cream
- seeds of 1 green cardamom pod
- 1/3 cup sugar or More if required
- a pinch of salt
- If using dried shredded coconut, pulse the coconut shreds in a blender to make small shred or coarse meal size shreds and set aside. Pulse for a few seconds, 3 to 4 times. Crush cardamom seeds in a mortar and pestle and set aside.
- Dry toast the coconut in a skillet over medium low heat. Toast until most of the coconut is golden. 3 to 5 mins. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add coconut milk/cream and cardamom, cook for 2 mins.
- Add sugar and salt, increase heat to medium and cook for 15 to 20 mins, or until the mixture completely absorbs the liquid and does not leak any moisture when squeezed or pressed.
- Cool to room temperature, and then shape into balls. Serve!
Keep covered and refrigerated for upto a week.
Gurjyote Singh Sethi, Canadian Red Seal Chef with over 18 years of Culinary Experience, Currently operating Catering company GJ’S Kitchen in Surrey BC. He had been associated with leading hotels in India, The Hyatt Regency New Delhi, Marriott Welcome Hotel, Crown Plaza Gurgaon by (IHG), and Aman Resorts New Delhi, The Claridges Surajkund and Vivanta by Taj at Surajkund. Email: email@example.com