The Super Visa Program allows parents and grandparents to come to Canada as long-term visitors. Parents and grandparents of permanent residents of Canada or Canadian citizens can apply for this visa meaning that parents and grandparents of visitors, workers and students are not eligible to apply it. Super visa is a multi-entry visa with an expiry period of up to 10 years & allows entry periods lasting up to 2 years on each entry into Canada, without the need to renew the status. You can apply either online or on paper to get a parent and grandparent super visa.
To be eligible for the Super Visa program, parents and grandparents must meet standard visitor visa requirements such as ties to home country, purpose of visit, their financial condition & in addition, their child or grandchild in Canada – must meet minimum income threshold; prove they have purchase health insurance for at least one year from a Canadian company; and parents and grandparents complete an immigration medical examination.
Your application must attach the following documents:
- Proof of relationship with the person you want to visit in Canada- it may include birth certificate or some other official document.
- Letter of invitation from your child or grandchild. It must include host child or host grandchild’s family composition as it will determine minimum income required by your host.
- Proof that your child or grandchild have private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company valid for at least one year and that it for minimum of $100,000 & valid for each entry.
- Proof that you have undergone a medical examination.
- Proof that your child or grandchild meet minimum income threshold. The document in support could be one of the following-
CRA Notice of Assessment, Most recent copy of the T4 or T1, Original letter from employer stating title, job description and salary, If self-employed, a letter from an accountant confirming annual income. The most recent copy of the notice of assessment can be viewed and printed by using the Canada Revenue Agency – My Account online service by visiting www.cra.gc.ca/myaccount
Minimum income threshold is determined as per host child or host grandchild’s family composition e.g.
Suppose your host child or host grandchild’s are husband and wife plus one dependent child and they are inviting their mother and father the number of persons for the purpose of LICO will be 5.
Effective from January 1 to December 31, 2016.
|Your child or grandchild may use the following income scale to assess their ability to meet the income requirements.
Low Income Cut-Off (LICO)
|Size of Family Unit||Minimum necessary income|
|1 person (your child or grandchild)||$24,328|
|More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add||$6,555|
Jatinder Rosha is Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and can be reached at email@example.com or Cell-604-725-9091.