Vancouver: Planning vacations in late summer? You can choose staycation and enjoy the spectacular tourism experiences in your own Beautiful British Columbia.
Here are few options which you can enjoy in the province having world-class travel experience. The low Canadian dollar adds incentive for British Columbians to get out and explore their community, region and province.
If a Vancouver staycation is on your radar, here are some fun activities you can enjoy:
- Richmond Night Market – 7 p.m. to midnight Fridays and Saturdays, 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. Sundays and holidays.
- Flyover Canada, simulation ride, Canada Place, downtown Vancouver.
- The Pacific National Exhibition, Aug. 22-Sept. 7, Vancouver.
- Tour Vancouver’s Punjabi Market. Six blocks on Main Street, starting at about East 49th Avenue.
- Walking rainforest tour at Whey-Ah-Whichen (Cates Park) in North Vancouver, located in the heart of Tsleil-Waututh Territory. A guide will identify plant species and will discuss their traditional uses. Also enjoy traditional legends and drumming during the two hour walk.
- Family Day in White Rock, Sunday, Aug. 23 at the White Rock Museum and Archives.
- Surrey Urban Farmers Market, Wednesday afternoons at Surrey Central SkyTrain at the North Surrey Recreation Center Plaza.
- Capilano Salmon Hatchery in North Vancouver. Late August through to November provides opportunities to view returning salmon, leaping up the river for spawning.
- On the Sunshine Coast, visit totem poles, tour a longhouse, or take a guided kayak paddle as you learn about Tla’Amin (Sliammon) First Nations history and traditions.
- Participate in Mudderella in Whistler on Sept. 26. It is a world class 8-11 km obstacle course challenge, designed by women for women.
- Learn about local mining history at the Britannia Mine.
- Listen to Canadian music power couple Our Lady Peace frontman Raine Maida and songstress Chantal Kreviazuk for free on Saturday, Aug. 22 at Whistler Olympic Plaza.
- Take in some of the most beautiful scenery in the world on the Sea to Sky Gondola, Squamish.
- The Friday Farmer’s Market in Gibsons. Enjoy locally produced food and works of local artisans every Friday morning throughout the summer
- Whistler bear viewing tours to see black bears and cubs in their natural habitat.
- Enjoy walking through the beautiful grounds at Westminster Abbey Benedictine Monastery in Abbotsford.
- Spend an afternoon at the Cultus Lake Adventure Park
- Cultural Tours are available at Sto:lo Nation in Chilliwack. One hour cultural tours are available Thursday to Saturday starting at 1 p.m. at the Sto:lo gift shop.
- Mission City Farmers Market, every Saturday morning at the Mission Community Library.
- Wakeboard Championships, Aug. 20-23, Abbotsford.
- Hiking, walking and horseback riding at Golden Ears Provincial Park, Maple Ridge.
- Fort Langley National Historic Site.