As mundane as it may sound, the absolute best path I have seen to developing top-notch executive capability in the pursuit of building a great company, is the basic, routine and consistent execution of fundamental business disciplines.
Doing the dull, but important, tasks over and over again, with greater focus, more energy and the relentless pursuit of perfection, not only builds executive persistence but demonstrates true leadership by doing the hard and unpleasant tasks well.
Never underestimate the example you set as a leader by going the extra mile and being willing to do routine tasks over and over, as if it was the first time you had ever done it.
Here as some specific way to execute the routine well:
- Focus on the one task that you can do each day to create the biggest value. Then do it.
unceasingly and measure what you have done.
- Never complain about 3doing mundane and routine work. Stay positive and enthusiastic.
- Teach others what good execution is. Not by saying it but by doing it.
- Make the importance of execution a core competency within the company by promoting and resourcing it.
- Thank and recognize others who execute the routine well.
Eamonn has a B. Eng. (Electrical) from Lakehead University, MBA (Finance) from University of Toronto, and has completed Executive Education at Stanford University Graduate School of Business. He lives in Vancouver, Canada. Follow him on twitter @EamonnPercy.