In part two of this series we discussed your role in maintaining a great working relationship with your computer guy. In this concluding part we are going to explore several ways that you can maintain that good relationship and have it work in your favour.
A competent computer consultant will be highly skilled, a thought leader in their technology, passionate about what they do, and up on the latest trends. When your IT consultant is part of your team the benefits to your company are unlimited.
What you have to do to make sure you become a “favorite” client who receives special favors and extra attention
- Pay all bills on time or early.
- Express your gratitude for the work that’s been done. Everyone likes to know that their efforts are appreciated.
- Keep the communication lines open. Unanswered emails and phone calls can lead to problems later on.
- If you have a complaint, don’t jump to the conclusion that your consultant was trying to harm you on purpose. Let them know about your complaint and give them a chance to make it right before you get angry or take action. It may have been a simple mistake, or even an oversight, on your part.
Overall, clear communication is your best tool to ensure a great working relationship with your computer consultant. You want to find someone you can partner with long-term who will take an active role in making your business profitable and successful. That requires mutual respect on both sides.
Here are six ways a good relationship with a competent computer consultant will benefit your business
- The consultant proactively monitors and maintains your network to prevent problems from happening, which gives you peace of mind by knowing that the “gremlins at the gate” are being watched and kept at bay.
- The consultant is familiar with your network and therefore can troubleshoot problems faster.
- The consultant understands your business and can recommend ways to save money, increase productivity, reduce mistakes and service customers that you haven’t even considered.
- The consultant helps lay a foundation for growing your business.
- The consultant knows about any software or hardware that has been added to your network (which are frequently the source of a problem).
- The consultant sorts through all the new technological breakthroughs, threats and news, and only informs you of the things you need to know.
Remember that your computer consultant is just as keen as you are to maintain a healthy working relationship, because successful consultants will recognize that you are the star of the story and they will always focus on doing the best job possible for you. Let them become the strategic technology partner for your business so that you can focus on running your business.
Bob Milliken is the TheITguy@CascadiaSystemsGroup.com specializing in helping businesses with their IT needs. Discover how great local IT services can be. 604.270.1730.