(Photos: Nina Davuluri. Photos: Miss America.)
NINA Davuluri, 24, shamed her RACIST TORMENTORS by refusing to stoop to their pathetic level after she became the first Miss America of Indian descent.
Trust the petty-minded racists in the U.S. to exhibit their SHAMEFUL IGNORANCE to the whole world!
Here is a sample of some of those tweets that swamped the social media initially:
* You have got to be kidding me… We have a black president, now Miss America is an ARAB. Maybe this world is really coming to an end
* Are you serious??!!! The Arab wins??!!! This is miss AMERICA!!! Not miss Arabia!!! Miss Kansas is in the army and is a country girl!!! C’mon
* Miss America right now or Miss Al-Qaida?
* This Miss America pageant needs to have more background checks simple as that #mericaonly
* If you’re #Miss America you should have to be American
* Miss America needs a red dot on her forehead #missamerica” tweeted Miles the Man.
* How can you be Miss AMERICA and look like you should be a gas station clerk or motel owner? This country though <<< #MissAmerica
* Well they just picked a Muslim for Miss America. That must’ve made Obama happy. Maybe he had a vote
Fox News host Todd Starnes tweeted: “The liberal Miss America judges won’t say this – but Miss Kansas lost because she actually represented American values.”
No wonder many people have MORE RESPECT for prostitutes and pimps than for such boneheaded, racist journalists!
Nina, of course, is neither Arab nor Muslim. But even if she were Arab or Muslim, why should it matter unless you are a scumbag of a racist.
CNN noted in its report that when Rima Fakih, who is of Lebanese descent, was crowned Miss USA in 2010, many racists tried to link her to the militant group Hezbollah!
NINA won the admiration of all level-headed Americans and others as she maintained her dignity and said: “I have to rise above that. I always viewed myself as first and foremost American.”
And Time magazine remarked: “Thankfully the days of PEROXIDE BLONDE BARBIE DOLLS dominating the pageant are long gone, with two of the runners up this year, Crystal Lee and Rebecca Yeh, boasting Asian roots. And this really shouldn’t be a surprise given that white children have fallen into the minority of those born in the U.S., according to the latest census data.” [Capitalization mine for emphasis.]
The magazine noted: “It took about an hour for the rest of the Twittersphere to drown out the bigots, with many applauding the choice of Davuluri, who ran on the platform “celebrating diversity through cultural competency.””
All those RACIST DIRTBAGS failed to faze the Indian American!
Nina, a daughter of immigrants from the south Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, was born in Syracuse, New York, and grew up in Oklahoma and Michigan. Her dad is a gynecologist. Nina has a degree in Brain Behaviour and Cognitive Science from the University of Michigan – so I am sure she can comprehend the puerile nature of frustrated racists!
This reminds me of the Indian proverb: “When an elephant walks through a village, the dogs bark”! The RACIST DOGS can only bark – they can do nothing else against the MIGHTY ELEPHANT of multiculturalism!
As I have been saying and writing for the past two decades in Canada, North America is becoming increasingly multicultural and NOTHING can stop that inexorable change. We all have to live with that reality.
Indeed, the U.S. News and World Report put it all so succinctly in its headline: “Miss America 2014 Resembles the Country’s Melting Pot Culture” with the sub-heading: “Miss America reflects the changing identity of the country.”
– RATTAN MALL