London, June 1 (IANS) Eat ginger and stay hydrated to get over your hangover naturally.
Nutritionist Jacquie Newson doles out tips on how one can remain fine after a few drinks, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
* Eat lots of ginger: Feeling nauseous? Alcohol can be a real irritant to the stomach lining and can increase the production of stomach acid which is why we often experience nausea and vomiting the morning after over indulging. Recent research has found that sipping hot ginger tea throughout the day can help counter nausea and upset stomachs.
* Boost your Glutathione levels naturally: Glutathione is the powerful antioxidant which helps detoxify the liver after a night of drinking. However, when alcohol intake is excessive, our glutathione levels are seriously depleted. It is, therefore, vital that we give our liver a helping hand by eating foods which are rich sources of glutathione, such as fresh, raw vegetables such as tomatoes, broccoli and spinach, as well as garlic and raw eggs.
* Stay hydrated: Alcohol is a diuretic, which if consumed in large volumes can cause dehydration, so be sure to sip on water throughout the day as rehydration is key to recovering from a hangover.
* Invest in a good quality Vitamin C supplement: Vitamin C can accelerate the liver’s ability to detoxify so it is a must-have for your hangover kit.
* Pop a milk thistle: Milk thistle contains crucial substances that help protect the liver from alcohol damage. One of these substances is Silymarin, which has antioxidant properties that are known to help protect the liver by preventing the depletion of glutathione and promoting the growth of new liver cells.