By Dr. Holly
We have all heard Hippocrates’s statement that “food is our medicine and our medicine is our food”…but are you aware of how powerful herbs are? From garlic to turmeric – Hawthorne to stinging nettles, we have so many herbal gifts to take advantage of. Black Cumin is simply one more. In some cultures it is identified as “A Life Elixir for all Illness Except Death”. Let’s take a look.
Most people are familiar with the weed Dandelion and how beneficial it can be to the liver and to the kidney, well black cumin is part of another weed family – the buttercup family.
The Persian miracle seed “Black Cumin”/”Habbatul baraka” , is translated into the “seed of blessing.” But it’s history dates back to Eygpt and Pharoah Tutankhamun’s tomb. Reports of the power of black cumin spread through the Middle East; down to India and across the Mediterranean:
- Hippocrates used it to cure digestive and metabolic disorders
- Cleopatra was known to use it as a beauty treatment
- Queen Nefertiti also used it for beauty but for her hair and nails
- In India it was part of the Ayurvedic medical system
- In China it was part of the Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Used through Africa as part of traditional medicine
- The Prophet Muhammad called it “a remedy for every illness except death.”
- Archaeologists claim that a bottle was in King Tut’s tomb — for use in the afterlife.
Black Cumin is now recognized as:
- an important anti-carcinogenic herb (thymoquinone compound)
- an important anti-pathogen (bacteria, viruses, fungi, molds, parasites) (University of Dhaka in Bangladesh found it to be more effective than many antibiotics, including with pathogens that are antibiotic resistant)
- a good anti-diabetic
- good for liver and pancreatic disorders
- good anti-inflammatory
Scientific studies with rats and humans have found that black cumin seed oil has been effective with:
- Aid in the production of natural interferon (Hep C)
- Can increase healthy bone marrow cells by 250 percent
- Strong anti-bacterial/viral/fungi/parasitic and anti-inflammatory properties
- Has a huge impact on the immune system
- Deactivate and/or kill various types of cancer cells
- Protects the body against damage from chemotherapy and radiation
These black seeds contain over 100 known chemical compounds!!
While some claim that the active ingredient is crystalline nigellone, there are various compounds that are medicinal:
- beta sitosterol
- myristic acid
- palmitic acid
- stearic acid
- palmitoleic acid
- oleic acid
- linoleic acid
- arachidonic acid
- Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B9
- Minerals: calcium, iron, copper, zinc and phosphorous.
Dr. Gary Null states, “every time you take black cumin you are stimulating your immune system to fight on your behalf and increase natural killer cells,” referring to its ability to improve the immune system, and treat even the most impossible invaders like cancer and HIV, successfully.Black cumin does this by helping to stimulate the production of bone marrow and cells throughout the immune system. It increases the production of interferon, protects normal cells from the damaging effects of harmful invaders, destroys tumor cells and increases the number of antibody producing B cells within us.
Researchers at the Cancer Immuno-Biology Laboratory in South Carolina demonstrated that that black cumin helps stimulate the activity of neutrophil granulocytes – the most abundant type of white blood immune cell in the body which targets and eliminates cancer cells before they multiply and develop into harmful tumorAnother study at the Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia revealed that Nigella sativa DESTROYED pancreatic cancer cellsBlack cumin also stopped the gene transcription process so cancer cells could not replicate!
Like Hawthorne, Black cumin benefits the heart and cardiovascular system in a variety of impressive ways… increases the elasticity of blood vessel walls, decrease capillary fragility and permeability, prevent thrombus formation, and decrease arterial pressure.
It also prevents formation of atherosclerotic plaque, never mind inflammation in the cardiovascular system.
It has also been used for:
If we look at the list of medicinal properties attributed to Black cumin, we can understand why it is considered another miracle herb:
- Analgesic (pain-killing)
- Gluconeogenesis inhibitor (anti-diabetic)
- Hepato-protective (liver protecting)
- Insulin sensitizing
- Interferon inducing
- Reno-protective (kidney protecting)
- Tumor necrosis factor alpha inhibiting
Do your research; find a good health practitioner; and enjoy your health.
For more information, contact: Dr Holly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: This article is provided for general information only, and is not a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or other health care professional. The writer or publisher is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made by a reader based on the content of this article. Always consult your own health care practitioner.
Copyright 2014 © Choices Unlimited for Health & Wellness