BC Coroners Service investigating death of family near Ashcroft

0
316

Kelowna: The BC Coroners Service is investigating after two adults and two children were found deceased in their residence near the community of Ashcroft on March 24, 2017.

Working with the assistance of the RCMP and the BC Safety Authority, foul play has been ruled out and the focus of the investigation is on a suspected occurrence of carbon monoxide gas in the residence. Toxicological examinations are underway with results expected later this week.

The extended family has been notified of the deaths. On behalf of family members, the BC Coroners Service asks that the media respect their privacy at this difficult time.

Carbon monoxide is an odourless and tasteless gas produced during the burning of any fossil fuel (gasoline, natural or propane gas, wood, etc.). The use of a carbon monoxide detector is a reliable method of early detection of carbon monoxide gas in the home. This does not replace the need for regular, qualified servicing of all gas appliances and wood-burning stoves. If you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide gas, leave the residence immediately and seek urgent medical assistance.