Delta: On December 17 at approximately 3:30 p.m., police were notified of a theft of a package from the front porch of a resident’s home in North Delta. The victim was able to give police a description of the suspect, as they had witnessed the theft in progress via a surveillance app.
Police located a woman matching the description of the alleged thief in the 7600 block of 114th st. The woman was found to be in possession of the stolen package, was arrested for theft, and will be appearing in court in March 2020.
“This incident was the sixth reported package theft incident this month in Delta. We are encouraging residents of Delta, as we approach Christmas to take steps to protect any incoming parcels, and to please report to police if you have been a victim of porch pirates,” says Cris Leykauf, Delta Police spokesperson.
Below are some tips on how to protect your deliveries:
- Have your package delivered to your work.
- Have your package delivered to the home of a relative or friend that you know will be home.
- Have your package held at your local post office for pickup.
- Take advantage of “Ship to Store” option that many stores offer. Amazon offers a “locker” feature that allows you to pick up your package from a secure location.
- Request that your package has signature confirmation upon delivery.
- Ask your carrier to place package in an area out of plain view.