Zucchini Cornbread Bread with Lamb Stew
Ingredients for muffins:
- 2 zucchini
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more, room temperature, for baking pan
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs
Ingredients for Lamb Stew:
- 6 pounds boneless lamb shoulder cut into dices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cup Chicken Stock (fresh or readymade optional)
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 4 cups diced carrots
- 2 large onions cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 potatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup White wine
- Shred zucchini on the large holes of a box grater. (around 4 cups.) Toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a colander set over a bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Squeeze out excess moisture with your hands.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush a standard 12-cup muffin tin with softened unsalted butter. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, and eggs (mixture might appear curdled). Add to flour mixture and stir just until combined (do not overmix). Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 5 minutes before serving.
Directions for Stew:
- Put lamb, salt, pepper, and flour in large mixing bowl. Toss to coat meat evenly. Brown meat in frying pan with a little oil.
- Place meat into stock pot (leave some fat in frying pan). Add the garlic and yellow onion and sauté till onion begins to become golden. Deglaze frying pan with 1/2 cup water and add the garlic-onion mixture to the stock, chicken stock, and sugar. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Check for tenderness in between.
- Add carrots, onions, potatoes, thyme, bay leaves, and wine to pot. Reduce heat, and simmer covered for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot stew with Zucchini and corn Bread.
Gurjyote Singh Sethi, Canadian Red Seal Chef with over 18 years of Culinary Experience, Currently operating Catering company GJ’S Kitchen in Surrey BC. He had been associated with leading hotels in India, The Hyatt Regency New Delhi, Marriott Welcome Hotel, Crown Plaza Gurgaon by (IHG), and Aman Resorts New Delhi, The Claridges Surajkund and Vivanta by Taj at Surajkund. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. www.gjskitchen.com