Roasted baby pumpkins with chestnut – By Gurjyote Sethi
- 6 small winter squash or pumpkins
- Olive oil
- 6 fresh bay leaves
- 200g wild rice
- 2 red onions
- 180g chestnuts
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 150g cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF
- Cut the pumpkin or squash tops off about a quarter of the way down. Next, using a sturdy spoon, hollow out the centres, removing the seeds, and discard.
- Rub the pumpkins all over with oil and season the insides generously with sea salt and black pepper.
- Nestle into a roasting tin that’s large enough to hold all six, tucking the tops in wherever they will fit. Put a bay leaf into each hollow and roast for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain the rice, tip into a pan and cover with plenty of water. Bring to the boil and simmer briskly until just tender. Drain well and put to one side.
- While the rice cooks, peel, halve and slice the onions.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the onion and a large pinch of salt, then cook until soft.
- Roughly chop the chestnuts, then pick and finely chop the rosemary leaves. Add both to the softened onions. Reduce the heat slightly, and continue to cook until all incorporate well.
- Shred the cheese then stir into the onions along with the cooked wild rice. Season well.
- Divide this mixture between the roasted pumpkins, removing the bay leaves first.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes, to warm everything through.
Gurjyote Singh Sethi, has over 16 years’ experience in the hospitality Industry. He has been associated with leading hotels like the Hyatt Regency New Delhi, Marriott Welcome Hotel, Fusion (Multi cuisine food Joint) Self Owned, Crown Plaza Gurgaon by (IHG), and Aman Resorts New Delhi, The Claridges Surajkund and Vivanta by Taj at Surajkund. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.